You’ve been told you need a dental filling. How much will that cost? Will my insurance cover it? If my tooth doesn’t hurt, do I really need that treatment? All these questions are running through your mind after your diagnosis, and rightfully so. If only you had a better understanding of how your dental insurance works! Read on, because now you will.
Comments Off on Understanding Dental Insurance
At Donald Marks Family Dentistry, Dr. Donald Marks and Dr. John Martin offer lifelike tooth replacements. Whether you have lost one tooth, many teeth or even all of your teeth, Dr. Marks and his dedicated team replace missing teeth in State College so well you’ll be amazed. You’ll look and feel better than you ever thought possible.
Comments Off on Missing Teeth in State College? We Can Help!
You’re a busy adjunct professor at Penn State – you’re currently working on your Ph.D. while teaching several classes. When you lecture, you’re confident in the information you share, but not in how your teeth look while doing it. You’ve been aware of the crowding and rotation since you were young, but didn’t want metal braces as a kid…and you still don’t want them as an adult. What is the best option for invisible braces in State College? ClearCorrect from Donald Marks Family Dentistry is a fast, cost-effective, and inconspicuous way to give you a winning smile.
Comments Off on Considering Invisible Braces In State College? Try ClearCorrect!
When your teeth are failing or missing, your situation can begin to feel hopeless. You’re not able to eat and chew the healthy foods you were used to enjoying, and your nutrition suffers. You may also feel self-conscious about talking and smiling at other people because of your teeth. Did you know that it’s also affecting your oral health? You may be a candidate for dentures in State College and Donald Marks Family Dentistry can help!
Comments Off on Are You a Candidate for Implant Supported Dentures in State College?
Chronic neck pain, facial pain, a jaw that locks, painful headaches or migraines, and clicking or popping when you bite are just a few of the symptoms of TMJ disorder in State College. This is a joint disorder that can wreak havoc with your neck, shoulders, head and jaw, and greatly affect the quality of your life. The good news is that Dr. Donald Marks and Dr. John Martin have solutions that will alleviate TMJ and help you reclaim your health.
Comments Off on Symptoms of TMJ Disorder in State College
Tooth whitening has become immensely popular worldwide. Once a luxury reserved for the rich and famous, teeth whitening has become more affordable with take home kits and procedures being offered by most dental offices. People get their teeth whitened before weddings, job interviews and other important events because it makes them appear successful, healthy and professional. This has long been the common perception of whitened teeth, whereas yellow teeth tend to suggest a slovenly attitude. The shade of a person’s teeth is viewed as a reflection of their personality.
If you want to have your teeth a little lighter, then it matters a LOT what type of whitening you do. Dr. Marks has been doing teeth whitening since 1985. What he has found is that everyone needs a different or customized approach. To get amazing results with teeth whitening, a number of things have to be incorporated into your plan.
- What whitening personality type are you? (want it fast, willing to work at it)
- What is your enamel like? (thin/somewhat transparent or thick)
- Is your stain superficial, internally gray or yellow? (Gray stain is more resistant to whitening and takes more time and concentration. Superficial stain will respond well to a good “cleaning”…you may not need professional whitening.)
- Do you have sensitivity in your teeth? (this has a HUGE effect on what type of whitening you do)
- Do you have any front teeth fillings or crowns (or porcelain veneers)?
Comments Off on Why Choose Professionally Supervised Tooth Whitening
If you’re an adult dealing with slight gaps or other imperfections in your front teeth, you don’t have to endure the inconvenience of metal braces to get the beautiful smile you deserve. That’s welcome news, right? We think so, too. Learn how the team at Donald Marks Family Dentistry can reveal your best smile with porcelain veneers in State College, PA!
Comments Off on Skip Braces With Beautiful Porcelain Veneers
Happy New Year from all of us at Donald Marks Family Dentistry! We hope you and your loved ones are starting 2016 off with a bang. In the spirit of fresh starts and new beginnings, we thought it would be an excellent time to remind you that nothing improves your oral and overall wellbeing like regular dental checkups from your dentist in State College, PA! Our team is looking forward to serving you and your family in 2016 — keep reading to learn why checkups are so important, then contact us to schedule your appointment today.
Comments Off on Happy New Year From Your Dentist in State College PA
It’s no secret that what we eat has a big effect on the way our teeth look. Like coffee, a well-known smile stainer (that’s why you won’t find it on this list — it’s been talked about enough). There are some things you may not realize are slowly staining your smile, though. If you’d like to achieve noticeably whiter teeth naturally this fall, your dentist in State College, PA says avoid these five foods.
Comments Off on Dentist in State College, PA Says Avoid These 5 Foods
Do you have swollen or bleeding gums? If so, you may already have periodontal disease (gum disease). If left untreated, periodontal disease can slowly deteriorate your gums and the structures that support your teeth, eventually leading to noticeable gum recession and tooth loss. Additionally, many medical studies have shown that periodontal disease is associated with more serious conditions, including diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Don’t take chances with your good health; schedule the periodontal therapy appointment you need with Dr. Marks or Dr. Martin today. Donald Marks Family Dentistry is the leading family dentistry of: State College, PA, Park Forest Village, Spring Mills, Centre Hall, Huntingdon, Altoona, Penns Valley, Boalsburg, Lemont, Bellefonte, Lewiston, Philipsburg, Port Matilda, University Park, Pleasant Gap, Hollidaysburg, and the surrounding communities.
- Age: Recent studies indicate that older people have the highest rates of periodontal disease; in fact, over 70% of Americans 65 and older have periodontitis (advanced gum disease).
- Tobacco Use: Many recent studies have also shown that tobacco use could be the most significant risk factor in the development and progression of periodontal disease.
- Genetics: Some patients may actually be genetically more susceptible to periodontal disease.
- Stress: Problems with stress can make it more difficult for your body to fight off infection, including periodontal disease.
- Certain Medications: Some drugs, including oral contraceptives, anti-depressants, and certain heart medicines, can affect your oral health.
- Teeth Grinding (Bruxism): Clenching or grinding your teeth at night can put excess force on the supporting tissues of the teeth and could speed up the rate at which these periodontal tissues deteriorate.
- Other Diseases: More serious systemic diseases that interfere with the body’s inflammatory system may worsen the condition of your gums, including: cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Poor Diet: A diet low in important nutrients can compromise the body’s immune system and make it harder for the body to fight off infection.
State College Periodontal Therapy Appointments
We offer gentle but comprehensive periodontal therapy that may include:
- Scaling: Scaling removes tartar and bacteria from your tooth surfaces and beneath your gums.
- Root planing: Root planing smoothes your tooth root surfaces, discouraging future buildup of tartar and bacteria.
- Antibiotics: We may also recommend using topical or oral antibiotics to help control a bacterial infection.
In any case, we will work to ensure that your gums are rehabilitated and protected from further inflammation. Schedule the periodontal therapy appointment you need to stay healthy with Dr. Marks or Dr. Martin today. Donald Marks Family Dentistry is the trusted family dentistry of: State College, PA, Park Forest Village, Spring Mills, Centre Hall, Huntingdon, Altoona, Penns Valley, Boalsburg, Lemont, Bellefonte, Lewiston, Philipsburg, Port Matilda, University Park, Pleasant Gap, Hollidaysburg, and the neighboring areas.
Comments Off on Restore Your Good Oral Health with Comprehensive Periodontal Therapy in State College, PA