Tooth whitening has become immensely popular worldwide. Once a luxury reserved for the rich and famous, teeth whitening has become more affordable with take home kits and procedures being offered by most dental offices. People get their teeth whitened before weddings, job interviews and other important events because it makes them appear successful, healthy and professional. This has long been the common perception of whitened teeth, whereas yellow teeth tend to suggest a slovenly attitude. The shade of a person’s teeth is viewed as a reflection of their personality.
If you want to have your teeth a little lighter, then it matters a LOT what type of whitening you do. Dr. Marks has been doing teeth whitening since 1985. What he has found is that everyone needs a different or customized approach. To get amazing results with teeth whitening, a number of things have to be incorporated into your plan.
- What whitening personality type are you? (want it fast, willing to work at it)
- What is your enamel like? (thin/somewhat transparent or thick)
- Is your stain superficial, internally gray or yellow? (Gray stain is more resistant to whitening and takes more time and concentration. Superficial stain will respond well to a good “cleaning”…you may not need professional whitening.)
- Do you have sensitivity in your teeth? (this has a HUGE effect on what type of whitening you do)
- Do you have any front teeth fillings or crowns (or porcelain veneers)?