Although the holidays may lead many of us to consume more sugary treats and alcoholic beverages than usual, we don’t have to give up our healthy smiles. You can make dental care a priority and help keep your family’s teeth and gums healthy despite the abundance of cavity causing food and drinks this season. After you’ve adopted some healthier habits, be sure to make an appointment with Dr. Marks and Dr. Martin at Donald Marks Family Dentistry today. Keeping on top of your family’s regular dental check-ups is the easiest way to ensure that their teeth stay in tip top shape this holiday. Donald Marks Family Dentistry is conveniently located on University Drive and provides quality dental care to patients of all ages throughout State College, PA, Park Forest Village, Spring Mills, Centre Hall, Huntingdon, Altoona, Penns Valley, Boalsburg, Lemont, Bellefonte, Lewiston, Philipsburg, Port Matilda, University Park, Pleasant Gap, and Hollidaysburg.
5 Important Holiday Dental Care Tips
- Don’t Savor the Flavor- To reduce the risk of damage from drinking highly acidic red and white wines, refrain from swishing the wine around in your mouth and try drinking water between glasses of wine to rinse the acid from your teeth and gums.
- Get Help From Cavity Fighting Foods- Holiday goodies like cookies, chocolate and candy canes contain high levels of sugar that promote the growth of cavity-causing bacteria. After eating sweet treats like these, try drinking fluorinated tap water, chewing sugarless gum, eating a piece of cheese or drinking a glass of milk. Each of these cavity fighting foods contain ingredients that help increase saliva flow, wash away bacteria and strengthen the enamel.
- Just Say No to Stress- As you get stressed over the holiday season, your oral hygiene routine can suffer. Make a conscious effort to pay special attention to your home dental care habits to combat tooth decay. Since teeth grinding and clenching can increase with heightened stress levels, this is also a great time to see the dentist for a custom fitted night guard to protect your teeth.
- The Perfect Stocking Stuffer- Help your family care for their teeth by stuffing their stockings with new toothbrushes. Dentists recommend that toothbrushes be changed at least once every three months.
- Avoid Sticky Situations- Holiday favorites like fruit cake, candy canes and caramel popcorn can wreak havoc on your teeth. These hard and sticky substances can be difficult to remove and can also easily injure your gums or fracture a tooth. Try avoiding them this season altogether.
Holiday Dental Care Appointments in State College, PA
Give your family the gift of a healthy smile by making an appointment with Dr. Marks and Dr. Martin at Donald Marks Family Dentistry today. Their family dental care office is conveniently located on University Drive and proudly serves families throughout State College, PA, Park Forest Village, Spring Mills, Centre Hall, Huntingdon, Altoona, Penns Valley, Boalsburg, Lemont, Bellefonte, Lewiston, Philipsburg, Port Matilda, University Park, Pleasant Gap, and Hollidaysburg.