When is a headache, more than a headache? If it is accompanied by neck and ear pain, difficulty chewing, and clicking noises in the jaw, you could be suffering from a more serious condition, TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder. These important joints are located on either side of your face to help regulate your facial muscles and jaw movement.TMJ disorders are a group of degenerative conditions resulting from strained and damaged temporomandibular joints. For your TMJ disorder evaluation, make an appointment with Dr. Marks and Dr. Martin at Donald Marks Family Dentistry today. Dr. Marks is an experienced general and restorative dentist that can help you get to the root of the problem. Donald Marks Family Dentistry is conveniently located on University Drive and provides quality dental care to patients of all ages throughout State College, PA, Park Forest Village, Spring Mills, Centre Hall, Huntingdon, Altoona, Penns Valley, Boalsburg, Lemont, Bellefonte, Lewiston, Philipsburg, Port Matilda, University Park, Pleasant Gap, and Hollidaysburg.
What Causes TMJ Disorder?
TMJ disorders typically fall into one of three categories:
- Myofascial pain dysfunction (MPD) syndrome– pain at the TMJ due to various causes of increased muscle tension and spasm. It is believed that MPD syndrome is a physical manifestation of psychological stress. Pain is secondary to events such as nocturnal jaw clenching and teeth grinding. Treatment is focused on behavioral modification as opposed to joint repair.
- Internal derangement (ID)– where the problem lies within the joint itself, most commonly with the position of the articulating disc, usually resulting from facial injury.
- Degenerative joint disease– where arthritic changes result in degeneration of the joint and muscles.
Common TMJ Disorder Symptoms
- Radiating pain in the ear and jaw that gets worse when chewing
- Locking of the jaw
- Ear clicking or popping
- Headache and/or neck ache
- A bite that feels uncomfortable or different from usual
- Neck, shoulder, or back pain
- Bruxism, teeth clenching
- Increasing pain over the course of your day
- A history of jaw or facial trauma
State College, PA TMJ Disorder Therapy from Donald Marks Family Dentistry
Dr. Marks can offer immediate and non- invasive TMJ disorder relief with custom-made nightguards and bite appliances to stop and reverse TMJ disorder damage. Don’t put off the TMJ disorder therapy you need any longer. Make an appointment with Dr. Marks and Dr. Martin at Donald Marks Family Dentistry today. Donald Marks Family Dentistry proudly serves families throughout State College, PA, Park Forest Village, Spring Mills, Centre Hall, Huntingdon, Altoona, Penns Valley, Boalsburg, Lemont, Bellefonte, Lewiston, Philipsburg, Port Matilda, University Park, Pleasant Gap, Hollidaysburg, and the surrounding communities.